December 6, 2011

Indexing: Harder Than It Looks


Earlier in the year, I wrote a blog post lamenting the fact that the textbook for IST 511, The Atlas of New Librarianship, did not have a traditional index.   Naturally, Professor Lankes suggested that perhaps I should create one if I was looking for a challenging project.  Since I have been taking a course on indexing, I thought, “Well, maybe I could try indexing a chapter or two during Christmas break.”  Over the course of the semester, however, I have discovered just how difficult creating an index can be.

The final project for IST 638 involves building a set of indexes for a television show or newsletter, deciding on indexing policies and conventions, creating a thesaurus to be used for future indexing, and evaluating the results of this work.  At first I thought “That sounds like fun!”  After I got into it I thought “This is more difficult than I expected.”  And lately I have been thinking “%#$!& indexing project!  I will never watch Doctor Who again!”

Each decision that I made for this project had ramifications that I didn’t foresee.  I would make a decision about the scope or indexable matter, what kind of locators to use, or what types of indexes to include, plod along for a while and then run into a problem.  What constituted a character in the character index?  Did they have to speak or appear on screen?  If a character said one line and then disappeared, should they be included?  What about character names – do I go by the name in the credits or use that name that they are called in the dialog?  The decisions went on and on.

I am sure that when I have gained the proper distance from this experience, I will once again find Doctor Who enjoyable and attempting to index a chapter or two of The Atlas will seem like a good idea.  But not right now.  Maybe during summer break…

No comments:

Post a Comment